Re: U+2121

From: Asmus Freytag (asmusf@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Fri Jul 28 2000 - 14:40:17 EDT

At 06:28 PM 7/25/00 -0800, Patrick Andries wrote:
>Shoudl the telephone sign U+2121 be superscript, and therefore annotated
><exp> 0054 T 0045 E 004C L.
>
>The two only Unicode fonts I have show this character as a superscript glyph
>(Andalé and Arial Unicode MS).

We were unable to locate any superscript usage that predates fonts that in
turn are derived from earlier Unicode tables. It is not Superscript in
Asian fonts and therefore the glyph and mapping were corrected to the more
typical unsuperscripted form with Unicode 3.0 and ISO/IEC 10646-1:2000.

A./

PS: the <super> in the data tables is not an "annotation" but a formal
value of the UnicodeData file-syntax. It would therefore not normally
translated.