Re: Euro

From: 11digitboy@bolt.com
Date: Sat Jul 29 2000 - 05:12:55 EDT

Yeah, how WOULD you make a serifed, rounded E that
doesn't look silly and doesn't look like a C with
an extra line? Well, maybe you can, I dunno. Anyone
who can do that, I'd like to see it.

--
Robert Lozyniak
Accusplit pedometer manufactures can go suck eggs

---- Asmus Freytag <asmusf@ix.netcom.com> wrote: > At 12:13 PM 7/28/00 -0800, Roozbeh Pournader wrote: > >I was not talking about the shape. I think all > of us have seen it, and > >many have also read the documents which define > its exact shape using a > >ruler and a compass. I was talking about the origin > of the shape. > > In some sense, except for purists, this discussion > is rapidly becoming > moot. The 'euro glyphs' have been out in the wild, > on shop displays, in > newsprint etc. for well over a year now. > > If you will, the 'common man's' idea of what a > proper Euro glyph is, is > fast becoming influenced by what he sees on a daily > basis, not by the > origin of the glyph or by the logo (which is prescribed > only for its > appearance on the currency itself). > > Given the name, I'm sure even the 'non-European' > font designers that Werner > likes to blame aren't suggesting that the logo > for the 'e'uro is based on a > 'c'. However, when you try to put the thing together > with the serifs used > in many of the common type faces, the result can > indeed look a bit like a > 'c'. This seems particularly true for monospaced > fonts. > > A./ > >

___________________________________________________________________ Get your own FREE Bolt Onebox - FREE voicemail, email, and fax, all in one place - sign up at http://www.bolt.com