Re: Multilingual character entry

From: Michael \(michka\) Kaplan (michka@trigeminal.com)
Date: Tue Aug 01 2000 - 08:14:47 EDT

No idea on Solaris, but for Windows:

If you want to do this in Windows, then Windows 2000 is a far better choice
than NT as it has keyboards and IMEs that come with the core product to
support hundreds of languages. All it takes is a visit to the control
panel's "regional options" applet to enable support for all langauages which
includes font support, and a visit to the "inpu locales" tab on the same
dialog to add keyboards/IMEs.

If you must use NT4, then you can do work in an application to support
Active IMM to get IMEs for the Asian languages. I do not know of a good NT4
solution for Indic languages (I would recommend Unitype's GlobalWriter but
only three of its Indic languages actually support Unicode, the rest
apparently do not).

To answer the basic question... yes, if you are using NT4 then you will be
hunting down solutions for every language.

michka

Michael Kaplan
Trigeminal Software, Inc.
http://www.trigeminal.com/