cost per character

From: Hart, Edwin F. (Edwin.Hart@jhuapl.edu)
Date: Thu Aug 03 2000 - 08:55:06 EDT

I received the following note from the editor of the second edition of
ISO/IEC 10646-1.

Between Editions 1 and 2 we added about 15,000 characters. We were working
on it for about 5 years, during which I spent maybe 20-25% of my time on
editorial work and related national committee work. So let's say about
250-300 of my man-days. That's 50-60 characters per man-day just for me,
plus all the experts in the individual scripts, including IRG people.

Is that an interesting sort of statistic for you ?

Edwin F. Hart
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory
11100 Johns Hopkins Road
Laurel, MD 20723-6099
+1-443-778-6926 (Baltimore)
+1-240-228-6926 (DC Area)