Re: is there any way to change already defined character codes?

From: Rick McGowan (rmcgowan@apple.com)
Date: Tue Aug 08 2000 - 14:11:53 EDT

The question is:

> Is there any way to change already defined character codes?

And the definitive answer is "No".

Marco Cimarosti wrote:

> (You definitely need an official reply, but let's go on with some more
> informal chatting.)

OK, here is another semi-official reply from me, as a UTC member, since everyone else seems to be at the UTC meeting this week...

As far as I know, neither WG2 nor UTC would vote to re-order the Georgian alphabet because that would invalidate all existing data. Neither WG2 nor UTC would remove or move any existing characters for the same reason. Use a tailored sorting table if you need a different ordering.

Jianping Yang wrote:

> Not really for Unicode in which we have relocated some codepoints
> for Hangul between Unicode 1.1 and 2.0 :)

The fact that there was a re-ordering in Hangul some years ago was a travesty and an embarrassment that nobody wants to repeat.

        Rick