Re: is there any way to change already defined character codes?

From: Asmus Freytag (asmusf@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Tue Aug 08 2000 - 23:43:33 EDT

At 11:01 PM 8/7/00 -0800, Jianping Yang wrote:
>Not really for Unicode in which we have relocated some codepoints for Hangul
>between Unicode 1.1 and 2.0 :)
>
>Regards,
>Jianping.
>
>"Christopher J. Fynn" wrote:
>
> Allowing changes like this would break
> > existing implementations of these standards - and of course these standards
> > would be useless as standards if they were subject to that kind of change.

Well, those were the early days when there were few implementations of
Unicode and even fewer that used Unicode to support Korean. Finally, the
Korean set is so large that we could not use our preferred method of
'correction' mistakes, i.e. by coding the 'corrected' characters as new
characters.

Nowadays the number of implementations supporting Unicode has grown to the
point that it's impossible to even get an accurate estimate of their number
and since Georgian does not require unusually complicated rendering, I
would suspect that there already are a considerable amount of data and
implementations.