RE: Mixing alphabets (was: sorting my CD collection) [Collate][CJ K]

From: Ayers, Mike (Mike_Ayers@bmc.com)
Date: Thu Aug 10 2000 - 16:55:03 EDT

> From: 11digitboy@bolt.com [mailto:11digitboy@bolt.com]

> You have a good point: .... does nu-alpha-tau-alpha-sigma-alpha
> spell "Natasa" or "Natasha"? The Greek letters given
> are obviously an attempt to write "Natasha" in Greek,
> but they romanize to "Natasa".
>
> And a, b, c, d, e, f, g, h, ... HATES a, i, u, e,
> o, ka, ki, ku, ...

        To throw a big fat monkey wrench into the whole thing, what if you
buy a CD from Jacky Cheung? He records albums in both Cantonese, where
Cheung is the standard Romanization of his last name, and Mandarin, where
the name is romanized as Zhang! Which Romanization will you choose? With
Jacky, you could opt for putting his Mandarin records under Zhang and his
Cantonese records under Cheung, but what if you buy the latest from Faye
Wang/Wong (M/C), which has both Mandarin and Cantonese songs on it?

        For reasons like this, I don't think there will ever be any
all-encompassing collation sequences that get much use. What I think would
work much better would be the warehouse method: number each CD without
regard to order and log the CD in a database which permits multiple language
tagged entries for title and artist (so Japan's Dreams Come True can be
logged under both their English and Katakana spellings), then look up CDs
through localized search engines. This would definitely take a bit more
time, but at least you could find everything.

/|/|ike