CNS 11643-1986 vs. CNS 11643-1992

From: Lacoursiere, Guy (Guy.Lacoursiere@Cognos.COM)
Date: Tue Aug 29 2000 - 16:20:20 EDT

Hi all,

In the past few days, I've been researching the Unicode v.3 book and the net
for information about CNS 11643-1992, but can't find anything conclusive.

Some pretty official documents *seem to imply* that Unicode 3.0 does not
contain the characters that were added to that CNS standard in 1992 (roughly
35000 of them).

My questions are:
- Are those characters indeed excluded from Unicode 3.0 or do they exist
(scattered through the Han unification and the traditional Chinese
ideographs section);
- If they are not included, how should they be handled?

We're trying to add support for CNS 11643 to our software (by internally
converting CNS 11643 databases to Unicode). We have difficulty finding
operating systems or databases that actually support the full range of
characters in CNS 11643-1992. Does the 1992 revision add any "currently
used" characters? Or does it simply add historical Chinese names?

Thanks in advance,

Guy Lacoursière
Software Globalisation Consultant
Cognos Incorporated