Re: Same language, two locales (RE: Locale string for

From: Michael \(michka\) Kaplan (michka@trigeminal.com)
Date: Sat Sep 02 2000 - 03:41:21 EDT

And then if you look at the Windows platform, the supported languages are
assigned a locale ID, a number that is documented in Platform SDK as
containing information about language, country, and sorting information.

The locale ID can be used for many purposes, the most important being
collation. It also becomes a key value into the NLS database and can be used
to obtain all sorts of information relevant to the locale.

You can see the Windows 2000 LCID list (more get added for each version of
Windows) with a small sample of information that can be retrieved at:

http://www.trigeminal.com/samples/localeinfo.asp

(The list is in the ISO639-1/ISO3166-1 order, by popular request).

You can use MLang, the MultiLanguage object, to actually do all sorts of
mappings between LCIDs and other methods of referring to locales.

michka