more questions on Lakota

From: Curtis Clark (jcclark@csupomona.edu)
Date: Sat Sep 02 2000 - 16:16:31 EDT

I'm still functioning under the assumption that no one has examined Lakota
orthography in the context of Unicode. I hope I'm wrong, because I'm way
over my head here, but if I'm right, I've learned enough from this list to
want to point my correspondent in the right direction.

Two specific questions:

1. The glottal stop has been rendered as both U+0027 (perhaps a typewriter
version of what is now U+02BC) and U+02C0. I get the impression that U+0027
is more common, but it makes more sense to me to use U+02C0. But I
understand that, although it is outside the scope of Unicode, IPA glyph
shapes are normative, so a glyph variant of U+02C0 that looked like U+0027
would probably be Not a Good Thing. Should I go with U+02BC?

2. Vowels are nasalized with what appears to be a superscript Greek lower
case "eta". I assume that using U+03B7 is not a good idea. I may have
overlooked "LATIN SMALL LETTER SUPERSCRIPT ETA" or some such; if not, what
is a good alternative approach?

Biological Sciences Department             Voice: (909) 869-4062
California State Polytechnic University      FAX: (909) 869-4078
Pomona CA 91768-4032  USA                  jcclark@csupomona.edu