Re: Plane 14 redux (was: Same language, two locales)

From: John Cowan (cowan@locke.ccil.org)
Date: Sun Sep 03 2000 - 14:59:30 EDT

On Sun, 3 Sep 2000, Doug Ewell wrote:

> This is one reason I have suggested making reference to ISO standards
> in the past, rather than RFCs. When ISO standards get revised, they
> retain the number and name of the earlier version, so documents that
> reference those standards are *automatically* updated to the new ISO
> revision. RFCs are not revised, but rather replaced, so documents that
> refer to an RFC are linked to that version forever, or at least until
> the referring document is updated.

For this reason, the XML Recommendation now refers to "RFC 1766
or its successor." Although you cannot tell by inspecting RFC 1766
whether it has been updated/superseded or not, you can tell by looking
at the RFC index, which summarizes such information.

"[O]n the whole I'd rather make love than shoot guns [...]"
	--Eric Raymond