Re: Same language, two locales

From: Keld Jørn Simonsen (keld@dkuug.dk)
Date: Sun Sep 03 2000 - 15:16:48 EDT

On Sat, Sep 02, 2000 at 04:56:23PM -0800, Doug Ewell wrote:
> David Starner <dvdeug@x8b4e53cd.dhcp.okstate.edu> wrote:
>
> >> the Euro currency symbol. A separate "fr_FR_Euro" locale would be
> >
> > fr_FR@EURO is the way Sun does it.
>
> OK, now how does Sun represent my modified "en_US" locale with
> 2000-09-02 date format and 23:59 time format? I'll bet there is no
> predefined solution for this or most other personal preferences, which
> is the point I was trying to make.

Under Linux the Swedish locale would do, that is set LC_TIME to sv_SE .
Most likely it would work under solaris too.

Generally, if you want to have a specific setting in your locale
under Linux, then of cause you cannot be guaranteed that you can find
a predefined locale that completely matches your preferences.
And there is no fine windows-like application (yet!) that can generate
it for you with some clicks on the mouse. You need to use an editor
on a text file and then install it, but apart from that it is not
so difficult (IMHO) and people that are used to fiddle around with
systems configuration should be able to hack the en_US locale for
say your requested changes for date and time in say a couple of hours,
(reading man pages finding the right files, trial and error etc.).
You only need to change about 5 lines of code, and then reinstall it.

Keld