Re: Tamil glyphs

From: Michael \(michka\) Kaplan (michka@trigeminal.com)
Date: Thu Sep 07 2000 - 10:40:02 EDT

From: "Rick McGowan" <rmcgowan@apple.com>
> > However, it cannot currently be handled by Unicode. You must choose the
> > proper font to display NNA AI, NNNA AI, LA AI, or LLA AI. The Monotype
font
> > and Latha in Windows 2000 are the way that my client got both display
types.

> I suppose if you just want to display the non-ligature type thing in a
situation where the font wants to give you the ligature type thing, you
might be able to use a ZWNJ or ZWNBSP between the chars. Does that work on
the system in question (i.e., the system used by Erik Lindberg)?

Unfortunately, this will not work, as vowel reordering must happen, and will
not if ZWNJ or ZWNBSP is included. I could see a font deciding to use the
grapheme joiner in a specific way to try to fake the behavior.... but this
feels more like a workaround than a fix, since

a) the characters are not encoded yet;
b) there is no description to suggest the best practice here for font makers

Typogrpahy is a subject that I have never delved into without getting
greater and greater respect for those who make it their profession. Perhaps
one of the reasons I like the idea of helping them in cases like this? :-)

michka

Michael Kaplan
Trigeminal Software, Inc.
http://www.trigeminal.com/