Re: Unicode on a non-Unicode web page

From: Herman Ranes (
Date: Thu Sep 07 2000 - 11:28:39 EDT

"Gary P. Grosso" skreiv:
> Hi Unicoders,

> Is there some way I can nudge Netscape's browser to display these?

An amateur's explanation of what can be done to make the HTML code
'understandable' to Netscape Navigator 4, without actually encoding in

-Meta tag the document as UTF-8

-Encode characters beyond U+00FF as decimal NCRs (è). [Entities
(è) can also be used in characters for which they are defined.]
Be aware that hexadecimal NCRs (è) will not work.

> Is there a better way to write this admittedly mongrel HTML content?
> I have heard somewhere that it is possible to change charset choice
> "on the fly" and if would work, I would appreciate a pointer to
> somewhere that says how best to do this.
> Thanks in advance for any insights.
> ---
> Gary Grosso
> Arbortext, Inc.
> Ann Arbor, MI, USA

Herman Ranes                  Høgskolen i Sør-Trøndelag
                              Avdeling for teknologi
Telefon   +47 73559606        Institutt for elektroteknikk
Telefaks  +47 73559581
<>          N-7004 Trondheim   NOREG