Re: FYI: Tatap => Tatar

From: Erland Sommarskog (sommar-usefor@algonet.se)
Date: Mon Sep 11 2000 - 18:57:09 EDT

> Joseph Becker <Joseph.Becker@pahv.xerox.com> quoted an AP story:
>
> > Schools in Tatarstan will now use the Latin alphabet for written work
> > in the local Tatar language, spokeswoman Zukhra Minekhanova said. The
> > transition from Cyrillic will take 10 years, she said.
>
> Is it just me, or does 10 years sound overly optimistic?

Well, they've been there before. Tatar, like other Turkic languages,
in the Soviet Union, had a Latin alphabet in the thirties, until
Stalin arrived at the conclusion that Cyrillic was better.

> > and because it would make European culture more accessible to
> > students.
>
> This is the real reason, of course.

And particularly other Turkic cultures. I'm not sure, but I believe
that the Central Asian Turkic republics and Azerbaijan already have
switched to Latin for their languages.

--
Erland Sommarskog, Stockholm, sommar@algonet.se