Re: the Ethnologue

From: J%ORG KNAPPEN (KNAPPEN@ALPHA.NTP.SPRINGER.DE)
Date: Wed Sep 13 2000 - 03:51:16 EDT

Rick McGowan asked:

> Can anyone point me to an existing list of languages that is more =
> comprehensive and better researched than the Ethnologue? If there is no =
> such list, then we don't need to consider any alternatives, right?

Ask the closest university department of comparative linuguistics, and you will
receive quite impressive lists. As a starter,
David Crystall's Cambridge Encyclopedia of Language contains a good list
of languages in one of its appendices.

I once looked at the ethnologue and its subdivision of the german language
is just ridiculous. Not small errors, a gross misconception. I don't trust
the ethnologue in area where I don't know the fact well, since it fails in one
area where I know them.

--J"org Knappen