Re: the Ethnologue

From: John Cowan (
Date: Thu Sep 14 2000 - 11:39:25 EDT wrote:

> I am sorry if I missed your point on Valencian. I must admit I didn't read
> it through carefully because (a) I'm not that familiar with the speech
> varieties in question, and (b) I had a very full in-box on this topic to
> respond to yesterday.

In a nutshell: The Ethnologue treats Valencian as a dialect of Catalan, which
is correct based on the mutual intelligibility criterion, but they have distinct
orthographies. Unfortunately, the two are in the same country, so the 3166
trick (en-us vs. en-gb, e.g.) doesn't work. (If Valenciana has a 3166-2
regional code, we could do something there, perhaps.)

There is / one art                   || John Cowan <>
no more / no less                    ||
to do / all things                   ||
with art- / lessness                 \\ -- Piet Hein