Re: the Ethnologue

From: John Cowan (jcowan@reutershealth.com)
Date: Thu Sep 14 2000 - 11:39:25 EDT

Peter_Constable@sil.org wrote:

> I am sorry if I missed your point on Valencian. I must admit I didn't read
> it through carefully because (a) I'm not that familiar with the speech
> varieties in question, and (b) I had a very full in-box on this topic to
> respond to yesterday.

In a nutshell: The Ethnologue treats Valencian as a dialect of Catalan, which
is correct based on the mutual intelligibility criterion, but they have distinct
orthographies. Unfortunately, the two are in the same country, so the 3166
trick (en-us vs. en-gb, e.g.) doesn't work. (If Valenciana has a 3166-2
regional code, we could do something there, perhaps.)

--
There is / one art                   || John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>
no more / no less                    || http://www.reutershealth.com