ISIRI 3342 (was Re: the Ethnologue)

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Thu Sep 14 2000 - 15:01:27 EDT

Roozbeh wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Sep 2000, Michael Everson wrote:
>
> > It names Hancock 1990 as the source of this (impossibly incorrect)
> > information. In the bibliography there is no Hancock 1990.
>
> Just like The Unicode Standard Version 3.0, page 317, which names
> ISIRI 3342 as a source for ZWJ and ZWNJ, but there's no ISIRI 3342 in the
> References. ;)

This is the kind of error in the book which should be reported to
errata@unicode.org, where some action can be taken on it -- rather
than to the general list. (Although I realize this was proffered in
part for its rhetorical effect.)

By the way, the passage in question, on p. 317 of TUS 3.0, does
not name ISIRI 3342 as a source for ZWNJ and ZWJ, but rather as a
source for an adapted example of shaping involving such format
controls:

"The preceding examples are adapted from the Iranian national coded
character set standard, ISIRI 3342, which defines these characters as
'pseudo space' and 'pseudo connection,' respectively."

The proximal source of ZWJ and ZWNJ in Unicode was existing
practice in Xerox and Apple implementations of the Arabic script, as of
1989. The particular text in question, now on p. 317, was added
to Unicode 2.0 in 1996, as part of the general clarification of
cursive joining in that edition of the standard. The failure to
include the reference for ISIRI 3342 dates from that edition.

If you have an exact bibliographic reference for ISIRI 3342 handy,
that would be helpful for the editor to be able to correct this
reference oversight for the next edition.

--Ken