From: Herman Ranes (
Date: Tue Sep 19 2000 - 09:42:27 EDT

Several Tatar language links here:

In particular, the Tatar-Bashkir latin alphabet is presented in RFE/RL's
site at

Are all these characters supported in UNICODE?

"J%ORG KNAPPEN" skreiv:
> I'd really like to see the new latin alfabet of tatar. A transitions can
> be very smooth, if the new alfabet is just a transliteration of the old
> one. Than in tatarstan there will be a situation like in yugoslavia before
> the split: One written language with two eqsily convertable alpfabets.
> For standardisation, there may occur further cases like "LJ"/"lj"/"lj"
> with tatar.
> But without further information, this is speculative only.
> --J"org Knappen

Herman Ranes                  Høgskolen i Sør-Trøndelag
                              Avdeling for teknologi
Telefon   +47 73559606        Institutt for elektroteknikk
Telefaks  +47 73559581
<>          N-7004 Trondheim   NOREG