RE: [idn] nameprep forbidden characters

From: Marco.Cimarosti@icl.com
Date: Wed Sep 20 2000 - 04:09:58 EDT

Michael (michka) Kaplan wrote:
> It is not that simple... what if someone else registers the
> domain that uses
> the common orthographic variants?

Well, I assume that it would not be possible because, by those hypothetic
collation rules, the two domains would be considered the same -- like trying
to declare a variable "FooBar" in a case-insensitive namespace that already
has a variable "fooBAR".

But I just expressed a naive idea without thinking too much :-(. After a few
comments I received, I am starting to see many little devils in it. Even my
simple example of ignoring the difference between "o" and "ö" hides big
problems: it would be handy in English, but it would be a trouble for, say,
Swedish, where ö is a separate letter. And I don't think that we may expect
host names to be language-tagged...

_ Marco