[off-topic] database collation with standard Unicode 3.0 Hebrew block

From: Elaine Keown (keown@altavista.com)
Date: Mon Sep 25 2000 - 11:27:54 EDT

Hello,

Thanks for all the help with UTF-8 and Hebrew vowels.

I hope to help write electronic dictionaries for Hebrew script languages. The dictionaries will be used by Chinese Hebrew students and will have vowel points. We Diaspora Hebraists invariably use pointed Hebrew except when ordering lunch in Israel!

When an electronic dictionary sorts (collates), how does the Unicode collation work with sin and shin not having a separate number, but having separate points added somehow?

If sin and shin need extra stuff to sort, does that slow down database access?

Is it slower to work with Hebrew and CJKV database material than with Hebrew and Spanish or Hebrew and English? Is character set size still a factor? If the Chinese-to-Hebrew electronic dictionary sorts into 214 sets while Hebrew-to-Chinese only sorts into 23, will the Hebrew-to-Chinese sort much more quickly than the Chinese-to-Hebrew?

Thanks for everything, Elaine

Free Unlimited Internet Access! Try it now!
http://www.zdnet.com/downloads/altavista/index.html