RE: Cyrillic -

From: Carl W. Brown (cbrown@xnetinc.com)
Date: Fri Sep 29 2000 - 16:53:16 EDT

Aleks,

The reason to use Unicode is more fundamental than fonts. I assume that
your your church members and other interested in your sites will have
different systems. Those with Cyrillic fonts will prefer Cyrillic text.
Using Unicode you can encode your entire websites in one encoding mixing
both Latin and Cyrillic text. What you need is an editor that can save the
Cyrillic text as Unicode in UTF-8 form. This is the same form that you will
send to to the browser. This way both Latin and Cyrillic text will be the
same to the Web server. Make sure that the HTTP header and the charset meta
tag both specify utf-8. The browser will handle both Latin and Cyrillic the
same as well. All it will need to display Cyrillic is a Cyrillic font.
Windows and Mac users can install IE 5.0 and select the pan-European
support. The Windows & Mac fonts can be downloaded from:
http://www.microsoft.com/truetype/fontpack/win.htm

TrueType is a Unicode encoded font that can be used in non-Unicode
applications as well.

Good luck

Carl