Re: Major site in unicode?

From: Steven R. Loomis (
Date: Sat Sep 30 2000 - 18:36:18 EDT

Why not keep the data in unicode, and convert it as it's requested into
the user's preferred encoding. You can analyze what browser they are
using (user-agent, request-encoding headers) and determine how to
convert the data there.

At the last IUC there was an entire session on work to internationalize

George Zeigler wrote:
> Actually, that is just our plan. We have the data in MySQL If a user
> switches languages, then data is pulled from other fields. They then
> switch character sets. What's the problem? Now we can't show Chinese,
> Cyrillic, and Arabic on the same page, but we don't need to either. In email
> actually, Unicode would cause problems. W

Steven R. Loomis - ICU Code Sculptor - -  +1 408.777.5845
IBM CET, Cupertino, Silicon Valley, California, USA - ------- personal: -