Re: New Name Registry Using Unicode

From: Antoine Leca (Antoine.Leca@renault.fr)
Date: Fri Sep 29 2000 - 05:34:41 EDT

tom@bluesky.org wrote:

> For purposes of name registration uniqueness, the only significant
> characters are numbers and letter as defined by the Java isLetterOrDigit
> function returning TRUE. This function determines if a character is a
> letter or digit according to the Unicode 2.0 standard (category "Lu", "Ll",
> "Lt", "Lm", "Lo", or "Nd" in the Unicode specification data file). For the
> full specification, see Gosling, Joy, and Steele, The Java Language
> Specification.

Which means that Sinhalese, Thaana, Syriac etc. are forbidden. That is
fine (with me, I do not know for the impacted people), but I wonder what
will happen when (or if) the Java support is upgraded to cover Unicode 3.0
(available for a while now).

Or perhaps Sun Inc. decided that the Java function isLetterOrDigit will
always refer to 2.0 (I believe it is in fact 2.1, but it does not matter) ?

Antoine