Re: Unicode ASP pages

From: Michael \(michka\) Kaplan (michka@trigeminal.com)
Date: Fri Oct 06 2000 - 09:42:37 EDT

There are three "settings" for a page that you care about on the ASP pages.
Once the page is compiled, no matter how it is saved, it will be using
UCS-2/UTF-16. Getting in and out of there is the tricky part.

1) The @CODEPAGE directive, which can be put at the top of the page, is the
code page to use at compile time. You cannot use a "Unicode" encoding at all
here on an NT4 server; on a Windows 2000 server you can use 65001 (UTF-8)

2) The Session.CodePage property affects all of the text sent down to the
browser at runtime. The same rules about using 65001 apply.

3) The CharSet META tag can be specified on the page, just as it can be in
any HTML page, and it should be set to utf-8 to match the actual encoding of
the text being sent.

Now, if you mess up #1 or #2, you will be converting text into gibberish. If
you mess up #3, then you can choose the encoding in the browser.

Not sure what you mean by the "viewer" being able to change the encoding? If
you mean Visual InterDev, it is not a Unicode-enabled tool and really cannot
do anything useful with text not using the default system code page at
design time (a limitation of most Visual Studio components which has been
addressed in the next version of VS, although VI itself does go away too, so
it is being replaced, not fixed).

michka

Michael Kaplan
Trigeminal Software, Inc.