Mac Questions

From: Suzanne Topping (stopping@rochester.rr.com)
Date: Fri Oct 06 2000 - 11:30:40 EDT

Hello all,

I'm hoping some of you out there can fill me in on character support in Mac
systems.

After combing various Mac/Apple sites, it appears that:

--MacOS 8.6, 9.0, and the upcoming X are all Unicode Enabled.

--MacOS 7.1 up until 8.6 supported double-byte character systems via
WorldScript II.

--Prior to 7.1 there was some other method for supporting characters.

My questions are:

1) Did Unicode ennoblement replace WorldScript functionality, or is
WorldScript II still in the picture somehow?

2) Does anyone have a source of info. on double-byte handling prior to
version 7.1?

3) Is there some common industry handling for backward compatibility when
building Japanese Mac applications now? If there is a need for an
application to work on post 7.1 systems and 9.0 systems, is there a
workaround, or are two versions of the application needed?

Thanks for any clarification that you can provide!

Suzanne

October is crisp days and cool nights, a time to curl up around the dancing
flames and sink into a good book. (John Sinor)

Suzanne Topping
Localization Unlimited
(Globalization Process Improvement Consulting and Training)

In association with BizWonk (TM)

Phone: 716-473-0791
Email: stopping@rochester.rr.com

(Send me an email to join the North East Localization Special Interest
Group, an email distribution list which acts as a discussion forum for
localization issues.)