Re: Unicode transliteration table package: transtab

From: Edward Cherlin (edward.cherlin.sy.67@aya.yale.edu)
Date: Wed Oct 11 2000 - 02:12:28 EDT

At 11:59 AM +0100 10/9/00, Markus Kuhn wrote:
>I have decided to publish and maintain my transliteration table now as a
>proper package:
>
> http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/download/transtab.tar.gz
>
>Greeklish, Greek polytonic->monotonic downgrading and Cyrillic are still
>missing (plus all the non-European scripts), but the rest is now already
>in pretty good shape. The table comes in ISO/IEC TR 14652 format, to
>allow simple inclusion into POSIX locale definition files.
>
>If you feel like providing a (preferably) Latin transliteration for a
>not yet covered script, let me know which one, and I'll prepare you a
>template file that you can fill in very easily. Also a Perl script
>and Unix Makefile for reformatting the table is included.
>
>Also pointers to any information on transliteration are very welcome.

[snip]

>Please email me any pointers to good documents describing the
>established practices that people use in email and on typewriters to
>represent unavailable characters and let me know where my table differs
>from these.
>
>Markus
>
>--
>Markus G. Kuhn, Computer Laboratory, University of Cambridge, UK
>Email: mkuhn at acm.org, WWW: <http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/>
>
>-
>Linux-UTF8: i18n of Linux on all levels
>Archive: http://mail.nl.linux.org/lists/

I'll have to look around some time. I remember somewhat vaguely a
book that I saw about 30 years ago, containing ~100 transliterations
of Chinese specific to various countries at various times, in
addition to the 100 or so that have been proposed and even used in
English contexts. Do we want to get into any of this, or are
Latin-alphabet users happy enough with Pinyin?

In any case, that still leaves transliterations of Chinese into
Cyrillic, Arabic, and what have you. So how much of the hundreds of
languages by dozens of scripts do any of us want to take on here?

--

Edward Cherlin Generalist "A knot!" exclaimed Alice. "Oh, do let me help to undo it." Alice in Wonderland