Re: Microsoft Office 2001 Mac

From: John H. Jenkins (
Date: Wed Oct 11 2000 - 12:52:19 EDT

At 7:15 AM -0800 10/10/00, Elliotte Rusty Harold wrote:
>Has anyone tried Microsoft Office 2001 for the Mac yet? Can anyone
>comment on whether it brings the Mac version of Office up to parity
>with the Windows version for handling Unicode and text in multiple
>non-Western character sets like Arabic, Chinese, and Devanagari?
>MacOS 9 includes support and fonts for all this, but so far Word 98
>can't take advantage of it.

Word 2001 seems to be better than Word 98 was in this regard, but it
still has some problems. So far as I can tell, it handles
WorldScript I scripts OK (Cyrillic, Hebrew, Arabic, Indic scripts),
but it *still* has problems with the metrics for Chinese. Some of my
ad hoc "scripts" work and some don't, which is better than was the
case for Word '98.

John H. Jenkins