Re: A binary that runs on Win9X and WinNT

From: Lars Marius Garshol (
Date: Wed Oct 11 2000 - 16:38:24 EDT

* Lars Marius Garshol
| We have considered implementing compatibility versions of the
| wide-string functions that basically map to code-paged text, but
| this seems like an awful lot of work and in any case it seems
| basically incredible that nobody has done this before.

* Michael Kaplan
| Microsoft has a white paper on writing a Unicode app for all
| platforms, see the articles section on
| for details.

This white paper describes the solution that we have already
considered and are hoping to avoid. Such a set of hand-written
wrapper functions around the Win32 API functions must have been
written dozens of times already? Doesn't someone offer this as a
product somewhere?

(Of course, since Microsoft themselves must have solved this problem
for their own applications, why on earth do they not make the solution

--Lars M.