Re: Colours

From: John Hudson (tiro@tiro.com)
Date: Sun Oct 22 2000 - 10:25:39 EDT

William Overington wrote:

>Some of the numbers were black and some were red.

>I do not know the details of why this was, though possibly they are Saints'
>Days. In any case, here colour was being used to convey a different meaning
>to symbols. It may be that there was an explanation on another page of the
>book, a text page which was not available on the postcards. Does anyone
>know about this please?

Yes, these are almost certainly high feast days. A Catholic ordo calendar
typically uses different colours to indicate which vestments should be warn
on which days: red, green, purple, white or black.

And no, I don't see a need to encode this information in plain text :)

John Hudson

Tiro Typeworks | A man was meant to be doubtful about
Vancouver, BC | himself, but undoubting about the truth;
www.tiro.com | this has been exactly reversed.
tiro@tiro.com | G.K. Chesterton