Re: Help

From: Michael \(michka\) Kaplan (michka@trigeminal.com)
Date: Mon Oct 23 2000 - 15:14:19 EDT

Ok, I looked at the page, and the problem is actually relatively simple and
painless. :-)

Basically, IIS itself is not Unicode enabled, so it needs a code page to do
its work. This is set via one of four ways:

1) The default system code page of the server on which IIS is running.
2) #1 can be overridden by the metabase setting of the ASPCodePage property.
3) #2 can be overridden per page at compile time via the @CODEPAGE
directive.
4) #3 can be overriden at runtime via the Session.CodePage proprty, assuming
that sessions are not disabled.

In your case, you are relying on #1/#2 because you are not setting either
prop at the page level. To fix, you need to at least set @CODEPAGE=65001 at
the top of your ASP page (65001 is UTF-8).

The reason it works with 1256 is that is the default system codepage of the
server, so the conversion was happening for you properly. Any time the code
page is wrong, you will get lots of question marks instead of valid
characters.

MichKa

Michael Kaplan
Trigeminal Software, Inc.
http://www.trigeminal.com/
a new book on internationalization in VB at
http://www.i18nWithVB.com/