RE: Japanese scripts?

From: Ayers, Mike (Mike_Ayers@bmc.com)
Date: Mon Oct 30 2000 - 13:24:31 EST

> From: Shawn Halwes [mailto:shalwes@pe-i.com]
>

> Can Japanese be effectively represented with only the
> Hiragana, and Katakana
> scripts?

        "Effectively"? No. Katakana-only writing is just wrong, and
hiragana sans kanji (with or without katakana) is considered children's
writing. From what I've been able to tell, there isn't really an equivalent
in english for kanji-less japanese, since, while english readers may get
confused by bad representations, they won't experience the reaction that I
have seen in Japanese towrds kanji-less text, which I can only describe as
revulsion.

/|/|ike