Re: Stacking Thai marks, stacking Hebrew marks?

From: Elaine Keown (keown@altavista.com)
Date: Mon Nov 06 2000 - 10:12:59 EST

Hello,

I'm following the Thai discussion with interest, since complex Hebrew manuscripts also have major stacking problems.............

In the current Unicode Standard, is there a numeric limit to how many things---multiple systems of vowel points, text annotation systems, etc----can be stacked onto a base character?

If some of the stacked items REALLY belong to the base character, but others are actually "attached" to a specific syllable or the word involved, they just appear above a base character, what does Unicode do?
Is this information somewhere in the Unicode 3.0 book?

Hebrew-Aramaic script has ancient reading annotation systems [like the Koran (Unicode 3.0, p. 394, 06D6-06ED) and the Rg Veda], so it has its own sets of syntactic/semantic/prosodic text markups--3 regional, 1 Samaritan.

The main computerized Hebrew manuscript, the Leningrad Codex, is actually considerably simpler than other Hebrew manuscripts.

I'm getting ready to look at the complexity problem this week.

Elaine Keown
Philadelphia

Free Unlimited Internet Access! Try it now!
http://www.zdnet.com/downloads/altavista/index.html