Re: Q.'s about hanja

From: John Cowan (
Date: Tue Nov 07 2000 - 15:13:11 EST

Marco Cimarosti wrote:

> In fact, my understanding of likes like this:
> U+4E07 kKorean MAN MWUK
> U+4E32 kKorean KOC KWAN CHEN
> Is that they are a lists of alternative *mono*-syllabic readings (i.e. I see
> the blank as an "OR"):

You are probably right. However, my understanding was that the KS standard (and
a fortiori Unicode) contains multiple codepoints (one in the Unified Han block,
one or more in the CJK Compatibility Ideographs block) in such cases.
There is no compatibility ideograph for U+4E07, and there is only one (U+F905)
for U+4E32.

I missed this one. Your argument sounds plausible.

There is / one art                   || John Cowan <>
no more / no less                    ||
to do / all things                   ||
with art- / lessness                 \\ -- Piet Hein