National Languages Support in Windows

From: Adam Twardoch (adam.twardoch@euv-frankfurt-o.de)
Date: Fri Nov 10 2000 - 09:33:17 EST

When browsing through the documentation of the National Languages Support on
MSDN, I couldn't find one interesting feature which is present in Microsoft
applications.

When writing text in Outlook Express or Word 2000, I noticed that the
software converts Unicode text "intelligently" when saving in an encoding
where some characters are not supported.

Thus, "aogonek" is being converted to "a", and "threesuperior" gets replaced
with "3".

Are those mechanisms part of some public API, or are they Office or Outlook
Express-only?

And, are there some standardized "transliteration" mechanisms for such
situations, or are those conversions Microsoft-specific?

Adam Twardoch