A very basic question about Big5/x-Jis/ Unicode....

From: Maikki.Frisk@nokia.com
Date: Tue Nov 14 2000 - 06:11:28 EST

I have recently started to study Unicode and tried to understand what it is,
except that it is a system that supports double byte languages. When doing
this, I've bumped into Big5,Jis Shift, x-Jis. Are these synonyms for
different Chinese and Japanese character sets and for which? I'm specially
interested in the various Japanese systems. What are they? Which one should
I prefer in creating (multilingual) web sites? Is there sth special I'd need
to consider when using Japanese or does using Unicode 3.0 simply solve my