RE: History of Kazakh characters in Unicode

From: Carl W. Brown (cbrown@xnetinc.com)
Date: Mon Nov 27 2000 - 11:27:02 EST

Kairat,

I have found the following in reference to the Tatar & Bashkir alphabets. I
appears to have the dotless i.

http://rferl.org/bd/tb/tatar/TATAR/abs.html

It is from Radio Free Europe not an official source but I have not found any
other source.

From what I have heard most of the Uzbek Latin users are in Turkey but Uzbek
is different from the more Western Turkic Languages. I had heard nothing
before about Turkmen and Latin other then it had been used in the past.

It seems that the problem is that much of the movement to Latinize the
Turkic languages is being conducted by small unofficial disorganized
splinter groups who are doing it often for patriotic reasons. Is this true?
Is it partially to develop a better writing system and partially because
they were forced to use Cyrillic? The problem now is that there are those
who want change at any cost. I Imagine the it is difficult to work together
to get a comprehensive solution. It would seem that this is an ideal time
for all the Turkic nations to get together to join in on a comprehensive
effort to develop a single Turkic Latin alphabet. Not every language would
use all of the alphabet but it would be consistent between Turkic languages.

Carl