Re: Information about curly-tailed phonetic letters

From: Robert Wheelock (
Date: Mon Nov 27 2000 - 21:10:13 EST

>To: "Unicode List" <>
>Subject: Re: Information about curly-tailed phonetic letters
>Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000 01:33:05 -0800 (GMT-0800)
>The curly-tail consonants t, d, n, l, c, z are also included in the
>TeX IPA (tipa fonts). The documentation of those fonts is available
>--J"org Knappen
Most IPA fonts include these lowercase right-tailed retroflex letters: t,
d, z, c, j, l, n, r; however, SIL's *Encore* Series Fonts (currently in
version 3.0) also has the highercase versions of those 8 + curly-tailed s,
esh, ezh in both higher- & lowercase. I'd use a curly-tailed <s> to pair up
with curly-tailed <z> for the retroflex sibilants—that'll save the
curly-tailed <c> to pair with curly-tailed <j> for your retroflex laminal
affricates—only if you don't want to use a diacritic accent (like an
underring) to represent retroflexion. Thank You!

Robert Lloyd Wheelock

Get more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer download :