Re: please expand re bidi algorithm

From: Michael \(michka\) Kaplan (michka@trigeminal.com)
Date: Mon Dec 04 2000 - 09:40:15 EST

Thank you, Darya -- good info. :-)

FYI to Roozbeh: check out the following page:

http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/drintl/001/br_sniff.asp?fa

in x86 NN 6.0 (and Mozilla for all milestones 13-18), it will format the
currency value or 3943.23 as 3,943/23. This is identical to the behavior on
Windows 2000 and Arabic Win98.

On IE 5.0 and 5.5, it will format the same number as 23/3,943.

The page that was being used here you can get yourself from

http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/drintl/001/

at the bottom of the page. Nothing extravagent here, it just uses
ASP/VBScript and depends on three things:

1) The NLS database on the server (Windows 2000, at least, in this case)
2) The SetLocale function in VBScript to select a given locale in #1
3) The FormatCurrency function, which uses the info from #1 and #2

(Special thanks to Russ Rolfe of Microsoft who originally found this issue,
in IE 5.01!)

Is this a bug? It seems uncertain and would depend on your definiton of
"bug." The only thing we know for sure is that anyone who has a particular
opinion can unintentionally take advantage of the diversity of opinions to
prove that they were right -- no evil motive required.

This is the danger of trying to rely on "de facto" national standards (i.e.
depending on common usage), since according to common usage, everybody is
right (and everybody is wrong). Exactly how many people have to be using a
particular convention before one changes the opinion from "they are wrong"
to "the other convention is wrong or incomplete", exactly?

I think the Mozilla/Win2000 behavior is better since it properly handles the
people who *do* use the slash character as a currency separator, and I do
not see any cases that are broken for its usage either (note the date format
usage and how it is not negatively impacted for any Arabic script locale).
With this change, AFAICS, both camps are well treated and neither is
punished for their preferences.

Unfortunately, in the Unicode Bidi algorithm case and the IE 5.0/5.5 case,
at least one group is punished.

The change would be to treat the Slash character as a Common Separator
instead of a European Separator. This change is (I think) at least worth
consideration for the Unicode Bidi algorithm.

MichKa

Michael Kaplan
Trigeminal Software, Inc.
http://www.trigeminal.com/