Re: please expand re bidi algorithm

From: Roozbeh Pournader (roozbeh@sharif.edu)
Date: Mon Dec 04 2000 - 11:05:56 EST

On Mon, 4 Dec 2000, Darya Said-Akbari wrote:

> but Michael is right. That is the way how iranian newspapers use the '/' in
> numbers and currencies. So when you distinguish between Novice and
> Professional FARSI speaker you should first revolute the whole iranian
> writing class in not to use the '/' they are used to do.

You'r right. Perhaps I should rephrase my claim as: the majority of
Iranians don't care if you use a slash or a correct Momayyez (decimal
separator as called in Persian). A Momayyez is only needed for typographic
quality texts and should be distinguishable only there. You can even use a
comma as a separator, and Iranian users have learnt not to complain. I
can send you the errors found in the most-popular newspapers, with more
than 60% errors in latin words of a single article.

Something like U+201C and U+201D; why use them while old double quote (")
works? Why use internationalized sort orders while every latin
speaker know the ordering of the English alphabet? ;) I think that no one
complains is not a good idea. No one complains because the ones who
complain have their customized versions. Because they have not cared about
document interchange outside their organization until recently.

And final comment: I know no Persian reader that will complain if you use
the correct decimal separator (which is a shortened and lowered slash).
But I know many that complain when they see a slash instead of momayyez.