Re: OT (Kind of): Determining whether Locales are left-to-right or right-to-left.

From: Michael \(michka\) Kaplan (michka@trigeminal.com)
Date: Wed Dec 06 2000 - 14:17:15 EST

From: "David Tooke" <dtooke@interproinc.com>

> > > Is it true that one would not be able set their browser locales to
these
> > > languages as it appears ISO 639 is a pre-requisite for this?
> >
> > I do not think that is universally true, no.
> >
> But according to RFC-1766 that governs the language tags in HTML and in
> HTTP, only two character ISO 639 language codes, 'i' tags registered with
> the IANA and 'x' private tags are valid.
> There seem very few languages registered with IANA and certainly none of
the
> ones mentioned earlier.
> Similiarly, this seems to be the same as far as Java locales is too, they
do
> not it seems actually validate the language, but from the documentation it
> seems that is what is expected. Do you think it is possible that some
user
> agents could have language strings using (say) the 3 character language
ISO
> identifiers, i.e. "syr"?

Well, I do know that IE (all versions) supports any random nonsense you want
to place in there.... so it can definitely take 3-letter names. Its up to
the site what they want to do with it.

> >BTW - I try not answer stupid questions, so you can assume I disagree
with
> >your characterization since I answered them. :-)
> You're very gracious. :-)

Nah, they just seemed like good questions.

michka

a new book on internationalization in VB at
http://www.i18nWithVB.com/