Re: OT (Kind of): Determining whether Locales are left-to-right or

From: David Tooke (dtooke@interproinc.com)
Date: Wed Dec 06 2000 - 14:26:10 EST

>In general, directionality is a script property, not a language
>or locale property: any language written using Arabic, Hebrew,
>Syriac, or Thaana script remains right-to-left even when embedded
>in some foreign locale, unless it is transliterated into Latin script.
Yes, I realise that is true. I am, however, trying to determine when it is
appropriate to generate a web page or an applet in right-to-left as opposed
to left-to-right. I am assuming that the browser (and/or operating system)
is going to render the actual text in the correct visual order as defined by
the Unicode Bidi Algorithm.
However I still need to indicate whether the page itself should be oriented
in right-to-left format (i.e. with labels to form fields on the right not
the left).
I would like to be able to, as automatically as possible, determine what
would be the best for the user...which means trying to figuring out based on
their locale.
I think, for example, it would be appropriate to show a form oriented
right-to-left to someone who has their browser set to 'ar-EG', even if the
application has not been translated into arabic.
Unfortunately, the application is such that maintaining preferences for each
user is not possible so I am trying to make a best guess at it.
> > dumb question 1. Is Aramaic (which doesn't seem to have a 2 character
ISO

<jcowan@reutershealth.com>