Re: OT (Kind of): Determining whether Locales are left-to-right or right-to-left.

From: Lukas Pietsch (
Date: Thu Dec 07 2000 - 06:42:59 EST

Michael Kaplan wrote:

> > plus...
> > dumb question 1. Is Aramaic (which doesn't seem to have a 2 character
> > code) the same as Amharic (which does...AM)? If not, Amharic appears
> be
> > a Semetic language too, is that written right-to-left too?
> Amharic uses the Ethiopic script, and is not RTL as far a I know. Aramaic
> has no native speakers

As far as I know, there is still a (small) minority of speakers in Turkey
and Syria who speak the present-day descendant language of (biblical)
Aramaic. This present-day dialect is commonly called Aramaic too. I have
absolutely no idea what writing system, if any, they would use today
(although probably not the ancient Aramaic script? More likely Arabic?)

Lukas Pietsch