Re: Transcriptions of "Unicode"

From: Curtis Clark (jcclark@csupomona.edu)
Date: Fri Dec 08 2000 - 23:00:30 EST

At 03:01 PM 12/8/00, John H. Jenkins wrote:
>Yes, this is really true. If someone were reading an extended text or an
>entire book in Chinese, they might prefer to see the Chinese glyphs, but
>isolated words, quotations, and short passages are printed with Japanese ones.

This is not unique to Chinese/Japanese. When I learned German many years
ago, the textbook printed German in Fraktur, so that the students would
gain experience in reading older German texts. But German quotes in English
text have almost invariably been in the same face as the English.

Biological Sciences Department             Voice: (909) 869-4062
California State Polytechnic University      FAX: (909) 869-4078
Pomona CA 91768-4032  USA                  jcclark@csupomona.edu