Re: FW: Problems with Unicode to EUC-JP

From: addison@inter-locale.com
Date: Tue Dec 19 2000 - 15:52:54 EST

Two quick notes:

1. Not all of the characters in Unicode are also encoded in EUC-JP. (Note
that the reverse *is* true: all EUC-JP characters are encoded in Unicode).

2. When you perform a conversion and some of the characters have been
converted to "?", that means that the character being converted does not
exist in the target encoding. "?" is commonly used as a substitution
character and means "I don't know how to convert this character to this
character encoding". Note that on some systems the "_" character is used
instead.

Without delving into the specifics of your problem, you should probably
check out the FAQs on the Unicode site. If you want more detailed
information you might want to check out Ken Lunde's book (CJKV Information
Processing).

Regards,

Addison

Addison P. Phillips Principal Consultant
Inter-Locale LLC http://www.inter-locale.com
Los Gatos, CA, USA mailto:addison@inter-locale.com

+1 408.210.3569 (mobile) +1 408.904.4762 (fax)
Globalization Engineering & Consulting Services