[OT] Relatinisation

From: Patrick Andries (pandries@iti.qc.ca)
Date: Mon Dec 25 2000 - 20:08:24 EST

----- Message d'origine -----
De : "Erland Sommarskog" <sommar@algonet.se>
Envoyé : 25 déc. 2000 18:52

> "Carl W. Brown" <cbrown@xnetinc.com> writes:
> > My vote is for Portuguese. Because it was re-latinized it is closer to
the
> > Latin roots that any other Romance language. Thus it makes a great
linga
> > franca.

All main Romance languages have been relatinised (e.g. in Spanish harina and
farináceo, hijo and filial).

>> Learning French unfortunately is learning two languages, the
> > written and the spoken. Not true with Portuguese.

And one of the main cause is the relatinisation of French vocabulary and its
relatinised spelling (cf. the pairs nuit/nuitel (Old French) vs.
nuit/nocturne (Modern) or doi/pois (Old) and doigt/poids (Modern after
DIGiTum and a wrong etymology POnDuS)).

This relatinization has fossilized spelling (Latin being the "nec plus
ultra") and made derivations in French far more complex than they used to
be.

Relatinisation, I'm afraid, is not without its disavantages.

Patrick Andries
Saint-Hubert (Québec)