Re: [langue-fr] L'anglais est-il une langue universelle ?

From: John H. Jenkins (jenkins@apple.com)
Date: Sun Dec 31 2000 - 12:36:53 EST

At 4:53 AM -0800 12/31/00, Michael Everson wrote:
>Ar 07:48 -0800 2000-12-30, scríobh Patrick Andries:
>
> >> Trilingualism and more is I'm afraid just too
>>> much to ask of most people who aren't full-time language
>>> professionals or naturally gifted with languages.
>
>Actually, all human beings are naturally gifted with languages, so long as
>they are introduced to those languages young enough. Like well before 10.

This is really a bit part of the problem IMHO. In the US, we don't
even *start* teaching foreign languages to children until their in
their teens at best, and for the most part foreign languages are
treated as "foreign," and not something to use in everyday
conversation about the home.

--
=====
John H. Jenkins