Re: OT: Linguae franca

From: John Cowan (cowan@locke.ccil.org)
Date: Wed Jan 03 2001 - 09:01:36 EST

On Tue, 2 Jan 2001, Antoine Leca wrote:

> (I found it is often if not always, much
> easier to understand a foreign language than to speak it correctly).

Well, maybe "correctly". But in general speaking is easier than
understanding, for the same general reason that it's easier to throw
a ball than to catch it. While speaking, you can pause as often as
you like (within reason) to formulate your thoughts, whereas when
trying to understand, you can't afford to get stuck somewhere, or
your interlocutor will go way past you.

One art/there is/no less/no more/All things/to do/with sparks/galore
	--Douglas Hofstadter