Re: relation between unicode and font

From: Yung-Fong Tang (
Date: Mon Jan 08 2001 - 15:40:46 EST

Michael (michka) Kaplan wrote:

> With that said, this type of "bug" is actually by design for many languages
> that have speakers who are not using Unicode. When you look (for example) at
> Indic languages on the web, the vast majority of them are handled by this
> type font hack.

I know. But when the specification of TrueType clearly specify what the
character code is in the range of 0x00-0x7F with a particular flag and
the font designer still insiste to put a glyph of a different character
there, it is a violation of the specification. I understand the need to
do so. If it is not a font BUG, then we should call it a hacky font at

> So I am hesitant to call it a BUG. Its just the encoding that people will
> use.

Not really. It is ok if people use such encoding. However, the problem
is the font designer tag the font as CP1252 encoding. In other words,
it is like I speak Chinese to you and insist that my Chinese sentance is
in English. While I am free to speak Chinese to you, it is not free for
me to call my Chinese as English.

> It would be nice to move them to Unicode, sure. But with (again, for
> example) most of the folks at using Windows and then with less
> than 5% of them using Windows 2000, they certainly cannot see Unicode as
> their best option at this point.

Totally understandable.