Re: Initial and Medial Alef Maksura

From: Roozbeh Pournader (
Date: Mon Jan 08 2001 - 14:40:48 EST

On Mon, 8 Jan 2001, Eric Mader wrote:

> We've discovered a problem with the way my engine renders Alef Maksura. My
> shaping tables say that this letter should only join with letters on the
> right.

Your tables are wrong or outdated. The official Unicode table at:

        0649; ALEF MAKSURA; D; YEH

which means that ALEF MAKSURA is a dual joining letter.

> So, I don't know what's the right way to fix this. No matter what I do, it
> seems that some text will be rendered incorrectly with some fonts... Can
> someone please provide me with some guidance?

This is a bug in the fonts, they're simply outdated. The solutions are
different, one is if the font has the glyphs, you can hack its shaping
table. We have a tool for doing this for TrueType Open fonts, which I can
give to you.